Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thankful November: Day 19

I'm thankful for...my parents!
circa 2010 - Mt. Rushmore
Do you have ever one of those days when you think, "I'm turning into my mom..." or "I'm turning into my dad."? The older I get, the more I have those moments. But lately, I've noticed that when that happens, I'm not hiding in terror because I'm becoming them, I'm smiling because I can't think of anyone else I'd rather emulate.

My dad is man of few words. Partly because he is more of a watcher than a speaker, but mostly because I think he chooses to speak only when he truly has something to say. (Okay, so another reason might be because he mumbles so we aren't really sure what he says!) My dad can be a real joker. He is great at finding the good in the things that are happening. In fact, through all the seasons of life that I've been with my dad, I can't think of a time when I've seen him give up and be defeated. Instead, he keeps on working and says that's just how things go. It's a trait that I love about him and one that I can only hope to have!

My mom is a doer. She can out-do, just about anyone I know. She has worked more than one job for as long as I can remember. (she's even had four at one time!) It's not lying that her love language is most certainly acts of service.. However, the one thing I love the most about my mom is her commitment to family. You never have to guess whether or not she'll be on your side. You never have to wonder if she will be there when things are falling apart. You never have to wonder because she will always choose your side.

God has blessed me with parents that have stuck around in hard times and shown me that marriage and family is about commitment. Commitment to one another, commitment to Christ, and commitment to family. I am beyond thankful that God has given me my parents to raise me and mold me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...